Blue puppies speckled with candy-colors like ice cream sprinkles. She was the loveliest little lady you ever did see. Three moons low in a grey sky, one quartered and two halved. They turn and dance out of sight below the horizon. All these places you feel you need to see. All these things you think you need to know. All this time hanging in between. Like a glottal thing it murmurs and falls away, as all things will, in the end. What was it you scrawled on my back , black felt marker and red alcohol? Did it help: did it suspend us? Did you manage to hold me in? They came through me and I read them backwards on my chest. They curled up in the atrium of my heart and blocked all the blood. I will die soon.
Your words: take them and put them in my mouth. I want to wash water over you: rain and roses and sweet myrrh and aloe, slowly and silent: hands and shoulders, blades and tips. I am tired and this is redundant. Run me through your veins. We are come beyond mere trying: this is the fall they told us would come. These other words: these back-breaking words, I will bury them in a shallow grave at sea. Help us now, help us now, help us now. Help us now before they never come back again.
The children call. This is not a wholesome thing we do here, what have we done, what have we done to ourselves? What have we done. The whole and beautiful things are stolen: the houses crash and burn. Let us cross over, cross over, cross over to the other side. You remember me. You forget me. You take an empty photograph, and all you see is the sun. I still cannot make it out. You will have to go on remembering without me. This is not a wholesome thing, this is not a wholesome thing. Please.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment